Sunday, August 19, 2007

Flickr and other curious thoughts

Flickr is a site where you can post pictures that you would like to share. You have the choice of sharing them with family and friends or going public. I chose to only share with family and friends. The process for setting up an account and then actually loading a picture was fairly simple. I chose a pictures I had taken of the boys gazing out the patio window. I decided to paint the background white. Then it seemed too stark so although I am not artistic I painted in a few flowers. No matter what the boys always look good.

I not sure if I will continue to use this site. But visiting it and actually being involved with the process may help to bring a clearer understanding of how the net is being used. In some ways the computer world has isolated people and changed them culturally. Thoughts seemed more clearly expressed in a hand written letter or snail mail. With e-mail thoughts are compressed, pared down. No judgement on that changed, just curiosity. Texting even more compressed...with new jargon.

Maybe sites like flickr or blogs, help people to share the pictures and thoughts and bring them closer together. Sharing passions, hobbies, and other interests with people all over the world. It seems to bring on an understanding of cultural diversity and at the same time a oneness with the world. It truly is shrinking.Sorry Kathy, too windy and long I will try to be more concise next blog.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I love your thoughts on this newer technology. I myself had problems remembering to write letters or just taking the time. I can get in touch with one of my sons by IMing to his phone. He never looks at email. So each person is using different products. Keep going.